The Protection of Saint Dogbert

The Protection of Saint Dogbert

26 February 2013

New Hobby and PHX Road Trip

Late last year I picked up a new hobby...I started learning Gracie Jiu-Jitsu.  Earlier this month I took a road trip up to Phoenix to attend a seminar taught by Rener Gracie, a 3rd generation GJJ Black Belt and one of the Head Instructors at the world-famous Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy in Torrence, CA.  The Gracie Academy puts out a video blog from time to time, and I managed to spot myself in it (near the end).  Kinda cool to see yourself on the internet.  There was also a picture from the seminar that was posted.  Being a tall person, I'm in the back row.  (Update: I found another picture, but the quote was from a seminar that was done later the same week.)



The topic of the evening: Triple Threat Back Attack Mastery.  Once you take your opponent's back, the techniques shown at the seminar would allow you to properly maintain this position and finish the fight in a myriad of ways.  Of course, learning how to take the back is a topic broad enough that it would require many, many more hours than we had at our disposal that evening.

It was 2+ hours of learning and fun.  The only downside...it was a Tuesday night from 1900 to 2130 hours, and a 2 hour drive each way.  I got home late, but it was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post comments at your own risk: