The Protection of Saint Dogbert

The Protection of Saint Dogbert

05 September 2009

Capt. Paul D. Raymond, USAF

On 5 Sept 1967, 1Lt Paul Raymond and his navigator Capt. Donald Downing were flying in their F4 Phantom over the Yuang Binh Province of North Vietnam. Their F4-C Phantom crashed 10 miles north of the city of Vinh Linh. Both men were classified as 'Missing in Action'. In the time since that crash, Lt. Raymond was promoted to Captain and Capt. Downing was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel.

Capt. Raymond graduated from the United States Air Force Academy in 1965. He had a wife and a son. His hometown was Deposit, New York. He was a father, a son, and a husband. He was an athlete and a man of faith. Now, he is one of 1731 servicemen and DoD civilians that is still unaccounted for.

During my junior year at UA, I received a POW/MIA bracelet. My bracelet has Capt Raymond's name on it. I have worn this bracelet since I received it. I'm sure most people have noticed it. Some has asked me what it is, some have recognized what it is and asked me if I knew of the person (either by relation or by him being a family friend). I didn't ask for Capt Raymond's name, members of my family didn't know him (that I know of). In fact, my dad didn't enlist in the Air Force until a year after Capt Raymond's crash. But I have worn this man's name on my wrist every day for nearly four years, and it is a constant reminder of the price that some have paid so that I can enjoy the freedoms that I enjoy.

42 years ago today, this man was doing his job defending our nation. Now, to all too many, he's merely a name on a list, and that list is looked at as merely a concept. It's sad that these people are not remembered more often than they truly are. We should each take a moment to remember those who have sacrificed all so that we may enjoy the freedoms that we enjoy, and many times take for granted.

Capt. Paul Darwin Raymond, You Are Not Forgotten.

1 comment:

  1. Hey man,

    I also have a bracelet with Capt Raymond's name on it. I have been wearing it for almost 8 years. I have been in touch with his son and there is the possibility that they have found some of the crew's belongings. He is going to keep me posted. I can keep you filled in if you'd like. My email address is thompson.1070@osu.edu. Drop a line if you want some more information.

    Matt

    ReplyDelete

Post comments at your own risk: