The Protection of Saint Dogbert

The Protection of Saint Dogbert

06 June 2012

Running Journal: Week 8

This was a week of ups and downs.  I had one of my best runs ever early in the week, and by the end of the week I was limping once again.  Luckily for me, the limping is coming right before a week where I will have to dial back the running, as there's not a lot of room to run on an airplane.

I also began using a new toy this week.  As I've brought up before, I use Nike+ to help record my runs.  Briefly, it works by placing a sensor in the sole of your shoe (I happen to wear Nike shoes, and they conveniently create a place for this sensor, but if you don't wear Nike shoes there are companies that make holders for this sensor that connect via the shoe's laces), and the sensor transmits a signal that is picked up by a receiver on/in an iPod (the receiver is an external unit on my Nano and is built in to my Touch).  Through the miracle of technology, the sensor can tell how far I've gone and send that information to the iPod, and I can then upload the information to the Nike+ Running website.  Now, the new toy for this week happens to be another gadget that will transmit data to the iPod, and will then upload to the website...a heart rate transmitter!  I had been wearing a different heart rate monitor previously, but there was no way to keep track of the data.  Now I can not only keep track of my heart rate while I run, but I can access the data again later and it's all contained in a single website.  These are good things, in my opinion.

The next couple weeks of running will be taking place in New Jersey and Europe (I'll become an International Runner!), and that means that I won't be writing consistently while I'm away (if at all).  But, I'll try to take a few pictures and write about something here that isn't just me running.

Here's how the week turned out for me:

Week 8 Totals: 5 Runs, 9.40 Miles, 1:53:53

Monday - 2.00 Miles, 20:47
Wednesday - 3.10 Miles, 33:00
Thursday - 1.43 Miles, 29:56
Friday - 2.00 Miles, 22:42
Saturday - 0.87 Miles, 7:48

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post comments at your own risk: