The Protection of Saint Dogbert

The Protection of Saint Dogbert

02 April 2012

Running Journal - Week 3

...And the injury bug strikes in Week 3.  Posterior Shin Splints started coming on Wednesday, I ran through them on Friday, but they hurt too much for me to be able  to even finish my run on Saturday.  For those wondering, Posterior Shin Splints is pain on the inside of the leg, where the shin bone and the calf muscle meet.  It's caused by straining a muscle that supports the arch of the foot.  It's treated with ice, rest, maybe some aspirin, and dialing back the training a notch or two (the research I did stresses not to run through the pain...I should have done the research on Wednesday instead of Sunday).  I did not meet the scheduled distance, but I did still get out five times this week, so that's a good thing.  This upcoming week will be a challenge, as I'm supposed to introduce 3 milers into the mix, but I'm going to need to take care of this injury to ensure I don't make things worse for myself.

Here's this week's breakdown:

Week 3 Totals: 5 Runs, 7.72 Miles, 1:35:33

Monday: 1.00 Miles, 10:17
I ran a different mile course, full of hilly roads.  Lots of ups and downs, so I had a slightly slower pace than my previous miles, but I made it all the way through without walking, so that's a good thing.

Wednesday: 2.00 Miles, 21:45
My fastest 2-mile run to date.  I felt like I kept a really good pace throughout the entire run, and only had to walk for about 200 total yards (split over two walking stints, both in the 2nd mile).  The first time I had an average pace under 11:00/mile!

Friday: 2.00 Miles, 22:12
This was an actual night run.  I didn't get out the door to run until after 7pm, so I had to be extra careful about where I stepped (as I didn't want to twist my ankle in an unnoticed pothole).  But, running at night means it's a bit cooler, which helps.  The race in June will also be a night run, but hopefully better lit than my neighborhood.

Saturday: 1.87 Miles, 24:19
I didn't even make it through the first mile before the pain became too much.  I tried to keep jogging as much as I could, but I had to cut the run short because this was an injury-type pain, not muscle burn.  I tried to stay off my feet as much as I could for the rest of the day.

Sunday: 0.85 Miles, 17:00
A short walk on Sunday, just to keep the muscles moving.

Week 4 Schedule: 5 Runs, 13 Miles

Thus Sayeth Your Haus

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post comments at your own risk: